DAY 1: Cusco-Cloud Forest
Leaving Cusco early in the morning, we begin an 8-hour journey over the Andes by bus, stopping for a coffee at the beautiful colonial village of Paucartambo. Continuing, we climb to the highpoint of the Manu Biosphere at about 4000 m before descending to the cloud forest. In these mysterious surroundings we take a walk to the lek of the incredible Cock-of-the-Rock, to see the 'performance' of the males right under our eyes. We spend our first night in the rustic lodge Posada San Pedro (appr. 1,600 m).
DAY 2: Cloud Forest-Cocha Machuhuasi-Pantiacolla Lodge
At daybreak we continue by bus to tropical lowland rainforest. Here at the small village Atalaya at 650 m, we change into a motorized canoe to navigate some 2 hours down the turbulent Alto Madre de Dios River. From here we get great views of the Andes. We stop for a visit of one of the very few lakes on the Alto Madre de Dios River, where you can go around on small traditional rafts. For the next two nights we stay at the Pantiacolla lodge, right at the foot of the Pantiacolla Mountain Range.The forest of Pantiacolla Lodge is a very special rainforest: this is where the Andes and the lowland tropical rainforest meet and provides the visitor with a chance to see a good selection of birds and plants from both zones as well as endemics to the area. Your first hike will be on the lowland trails, at 400m above sea level. Also at night, we explore the forest by torchlight looking for insects, snakes and the uniquely nocturnal night-monkey or 'douricouli'. We spend the night in Pantiacolla Lodge.
DAY 3: Clay lick for parrots-Excursion to the Petroleo stream
Early in the morning the boat takes you to a nearby clay lick for parrots and the rare blue-headed macaw. Their spectacle is both impressive to see and to hear! From there we can visit one of the higher trails of the Pantiacolla Mountains with it’s ‘Oil’ stream with small hot springs, oil wells and natural swimming pools or we can walk down lower trails where there is a higher likelihood of seeing animals. At night we visit Ranacocha, Frog Lake. Overnight in Panctiacolla Lodge.
DAY 4: Hot springs-Cloud Forest
After a last morning walk in Pantiacolla, the boat takes us to the hot springs of Shintuya for a relaxing mineral bath, before continuing further up to Atalaya. From here we turn back up the Andes by car. We visit a local orchid “sanctuary” along the way. We spend the last night in Posada San Pedro.
DAY 5: Cloud Forest, Cusco
Early in the morning, we have another walk through the forest; as always it is teeming with life and by now many birds, monkeys, insects, trees and plants are familiar to us. We walk until our car picks us up to take us to Cusco, where we arrive in the late afternoon.
- Bearing in mind the uncontrollable forces of nature, the program could be subject to changes at any time
- Manu is a rainforest that has remained intact because of its hidden location. This means the program involves much traveling by bus and boat. However, it also means you are in a part of the Amazon rainforest that has no comparison, with an untouched flora and fauna!
INFORMATION TOURS TO MANU 2019
Due to global cost fluctuations that affect Peru as it does many other countries, we are adjusting our prices on a regular basis. Please, ask for our current prices by e-mail or phone.
- Naturalist guide in English and Spanish
- Transportation Cusco/Atalaya/Cusco by private bus
- Transportation by private boat: Atalaya to Pantiacolla Lodge and back
- Excursions mentioned in the programme
- Overnights in lodges Posada San Pedro & Pantiacolla Lodge
- Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Water at any time and warm drinks or lemonades with meals
- Guide book for rainforest of Manu - Talking About Manu
- Soft drinks and beer
- Personal expenses
FIXED DEPARTURE DATES 5-DAYS 2019 (LEAVING ON WEDNESDAYS)
- January 02 - 09- 16 - 23 - 30
- February 06 - 13 - 20 - 27
- March 06 - 13 - 20 - 27
- April 03 - 10 - 17 - 24
- May 01 - 08 - 15 - 22 - 29
- June 05 - 12 - 19 - 26
- July 03 - 10 - 17 - 24 - 31
- August 07 - 14 - 21 - 28
- September 04 - 11 - 18 - 25
- October 02 - 09 - 16 - 23 - 30
- November 06 - 13 - 20 - 27
- December 04 - 11 - 18 - 25